- Written by Josh Kennedy Josh Kennedy
- Published: 29 June 2016 29 June 2016
- Hits: 83 83
Scouts and Parents --
There are several upcoming training opportunities that we would like to advertise:
For those seeking to become "Trained" adult leaders (wear the Trained tab), there are two courses to complete (see attachment):
1) SM/ASM-Specific Training. A 4-hr class, Brian Pollock is coordinating to teach it on the afternoon of Sunday, 7 August, at Cove Church.
2) Intro to Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS). Next local offering is 15-16 Oct (Sat-Sun) nearby Camp Jackso, just across the TN River from Scottsboro. See attached flyer, sign up at http://www.tors.cypress-softworks.com/
3) WoodBadge. Scouting's premier adult training course, 6 days long. Lord Baden-Powell designed it so that Scouters could learn, in as practical a way possible, the skills and methods of Scouting. Greater Alabama Council will next offer in a typical pair of 3-day weekends format: 23-25 Sept and 28-30 Oct. http://talakto.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Wood-Badge-Brochure-S9-1162.pdf
If these dates not work for you, WoodBadge is offered all over the country, here is a link to the master course listing: http://woodbadge.org/Listings/current.php
4) National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT). A six-day outdoor training course for senior youth leaders in the Boy Scouting or the Venturing programs. It is essentially leadership training in an outdoor setting. The final class for 2016 is 17-23 July at Camp Westmoreland. Course Director is John Kelton out of Madison, one of the finest adult Scouters in the area. Go to http://www.nyltalabama.com/ for more information.
"EVERY SCOUT DESERVES A TRAINED LEADER"
- Written by Mr. Allen Mr. Allen
- Published: 12 June 2016 12 June 2016
- Hits: 107 107
- Written by Brian Pollock Brian Pollock
- Published: 28 April 2016 28 April 2016
- Hits: 307 307
Please put this on your calendar and plan to attend the annual Troop 343 Annual Parents Meeting. Outside of the business and schedule of the troop being covered, this should be a good time to meet new parents and families that you may not see during the normal meeting times throughout the year.
WHO: Parents and Scouters (Adult Leaders) of Troop 343
WHAT: Troop 343 Annual Parents Meeting
WHEN: January 25, 2016 at 6pm CT
WHERE: Cove Methodist (exact location in the church TBD)
WHY: This is the annual parent meeting. We will have an update on the troop, our policies, schedule for this year and long term scheduling of major trips. I appreciate you taking the time to stay informed.
- Written by Mike Haider Mike Haider
- Published: 28 April 2016 28 April 2016
- Hits: 361 361
Attention Parents of Troop 343! Want to be a Merit Badge Counselor?
If you have ever wondered about an essential way to help out the scouts of Troop 343, but don’t have the time or schedule to plan/attend/drive on outings, how about becoming a MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR? It is easy to do and all you need is to have some type of experience or training in the general knowledge area(s) covered by the specific merit badge book. There are three ways to be eligible for merit badge counseling:
• Be familiar with subject through your Vocation (past or present career or job)
• Be familiar with subject through an Avocation (hobby or special interest/experience)
• Be familiar with subject through Training (formal/informal/seminar or similar)
One of the above AND
• Complete BSA Youth Protection Training (required for most other things anyway)
Volunteering is easy and there are only a couple of forms to fill out if interested. You can find a complete list of available merit badges at www.mertibadge.org or many more places online or scout shop. I am trying to get the list of MB Counselors updated for the Troop and it will be posted on the website. I will make myself available at the next couple of Troop meetings with the forms, and can answer any questions you may have about this opportunity at that time.
- Written by Mike Lyman Mike Lyman
- Published: 20 February 2015 20 February 2015
- Hits: 517 517
Our Chartering Organization Representative Scott Ludgwig has been given the Districtict Award of Merit from Talakto District.